A tiny review of The Southern Review

There are always good reasons to read The Southern Review. The Autumn 2015 issue just reminded me of that with the excellent poetry of Charles Rafferty (among many other fine writers). But, the issue kicks off with a real keeper (yes, pun intended): “Nabokov in Goal, Cambridge, 1919” by Floyd Skloot. Just excellent.southern review

What November Really Means in Publishing

BlueCubiclePressSo when your editor says your chapbook will most likely be out in November, you figure there’s a 75% chance that will actually happen, a 20% chance it will be out in December, and a 5% chance it will be some other time, like January or February, or maybe part of a two-year backlog. What you don’t expect, or at least I didn’t, is that the chapbook would be out in early September, a full two months early, and both look and read with the quality you expected it would when you expected it to be out in November.
I can’t say enough how much I appreciate Blue Cubicle Press and its publisher, David LaBounty. And even if you couldn’t care less about some chapbook titled, Something L.A., the press has a great collection of work-themed books, chapbooks, and journals. All worth reading unless, of course, you’re Paris Hilton and you’ve never actually worked a day in your life. Then, all that stuff about work and the various comedies and dramas that play out in that world may just seem alien to you.

So, if you’re not Paris Hilton, here’s the link to the press: Blue Cubicle Press

And if you’re not averse to a chapbook about interning at an advertising agency in L.A. and meeting a few famous people in a rather awkward way, here’s the link to that: Something L.A.

Something Nonfiction This Way Comes


The proof for my creative nonfiction chapbook, Something L.A., arrived on Monday. (It will be out in November 2015 as part of Blue Cubicle Press’s, Overtime Chapbook Series). I was excited to see it, then worried about line editing, then excited again when I started the edits because I really love this essay.

Today the line edits are complete and on their way back to the editor, David LaBounty, and I’m still excited about this project. Hooray writing!

Berea Book Fest

I’m really excited to be reading today at the Berea Book Fest, presented by the talented and always enthusiastic writers from the Berea Writers Circle. There’s a great group reading too, including Julie Hensley, Libby Falk Jones, Dustin Brewer (a fellow Alternative Book Press author), Joseph Montgomery (an EKU grad), and others. Here’s the link for all the details:


It’s good to be Ringo

Pages & Pints

Months ago when Wesley Browne asked me to be part of his great Pages & Pints reading series, I was really honored. Then he told me who I’d be reading with–David Joy and Robert Gipe–and I was even more honored, and humbled, and just happy to be in the lineup. Apollo Pizza is a great venue for a reading (the awesome pizza and great beer selections on tap don’t hurt either), David Joy’s novel is blowing up, and Robert Gipe can own a room (in a good way, I know, because I’ve seen him do it). It made me feel like Ringo Starr. But you know, it’s good to be Ringo isn’t it? I mean, better to be an actual Beatle than the fifth Beatle or, worse, the drummer in Spinal Tap.

Here’s the link to the event and, if you’re worried, I promise not to sing or play drums, just read:  https://www.facebook.com/events/1626500800914145/1626529300911295/

Love Thy Antagonist?


One of my students asked me recently if, in my story collection Delicate Men, I hated any of my characters. It’s a great question, and I didn’t have an immediate answer. All my antagonists came to mind, and why wouldn’t they? Without them it’s just chocolate waterfalls, warm hugs, and quiet rides into the rainbow sunset. Who wants to read those stories? But do I actually hate the characters bringing the tension to my work?

With the exception of Iago and a couple James Bond villains, I prefer antagonists who have an agenda that is more complicated than, “Because the devil [or plot] made me do it.”

Because of this, I’ve been learning to have empathy for my antagonists. I wouldn’t have used that exact word a few years ago, empathy. Then I heard Glen Retief use it at the 2011 Bluegrass Writers Studio Winter Residency. He spoke of rounding out your antagonists with, of all things, empathy. And he’s right. Empathy makes those antagonists so much more complex, so much more compelling, and so much more than villains with black hats and maniacal laughs.

And so in trying to answer my student’s question, I found myself realizing how much I cared for, even worried about, my antagonists in Delicate Men. Sure, some of them are jerks, but they’re all trying to get through their own world, in their own way, and sometimes mistakes are made.

But to be completely honest, there is one character I don’t like. I’m not naming names, not exactly (see below), for a couple reasons: First, he’s a pretty minor character, and I might even be able to make the case that he’s actually insecure and, well, there’s your empathy. Second, he’s not so much a character as he is a real person. I’d written a scene where I was in need of an annoying, unappealing but not awful, person. Then, someone I used to work with came to mind and suddenly there he was, transported from a past job and on to the page, fitting in like he’d always belonged in the story.

Many of my characters start with a strong likeness to people I know or have known, but they grow into their own fictional selves the more I write and revise. Not this guy. Sure, I made some cosmetic changes, but in revision the empathy I should have summoned for that character failed to show, probably because I’ve struggled to have it for his real-life counterpart. I didn’t even change his name.

I know I should be a bigger person about this, or at least be a better writer about it, but it was awfully satisfying to keep him, the real him, recognizable to me and perhaps a few old advertising friends. They’d have my back on this too, by the way. This guy really did work hard to be a jerk just for the sake of being a jerk. So, I kept him the shallow, annoying, unlikeable person he really is, or at least was back when I knew him. I suppose the devil made me do it.

Hearing Voices

capitolbldgAn early version of my story “No Better,” which appears in Delicate Men, was published on the Liars’ League NYC website back in 2013. One of the great things about Liars’ League NYC is that after they accept your story they then have a show at KGB Bar in New York City where actors read your work and people you don’t know get to hear it and, hopefully, clap widely when it’s over.
It’s really cool, and really weird, to hear someone else read your work, so I’ve archived this on my Early Drafts page, and you can also link to it here: http://www.liarsleaguenyc.com/concrete-by-r-dean-johnson

The story was longer back then and titled, “Concrete.” If you’re familiar with the streamlined version in the book, you’ll be getting some backstory in this version.

And even if you don’t care to hear that story again in any version, you should check out Liars’ League NYC for their upcoming shows and calls for submissions. They’re doing really great things for writers and actors alike.

How to Sign a Kindle

What’s great about there being a Kindle edition of your first book is that fans and/or friends in far off places can get it without going on some kind of scavenger hunt to find a print edition. I don’t think I’m big in Japan, but I do have some friends in far off places and a few of them bought the book the day it came out, which was neat. (Yes, I mean that in the geeked up way it sounds too because it really is neat).

The thing is, the next time I’m in England or Japan, I can’t sign the book for my friends. Sure, I could give their Kindles each a Sharpie tattoo, but I’m pretty certain my signature isn’t worth that kind of sacrifice for anyone. Not yet, at least.
So here’s what I am doing: If you bought a Kindle version of Delicate Men and you’d like a signed, Delicate Men bookmark that is of no use for your Kindle but perhaps will tuck nicely into a phone book, or a catalogue, or an actual book, I’ll send you one. Free. Just email me your name and address at r_dean_johnson@yahoo.com.

Do you have to prove to me that you bought the book? Well, I don’t need to see a receipt. But, if you want to review it on GoodReads, or Amazon, or elsewhere (I could really use some reviews), that would be super neat (see above). I’ll also accept selfies with the book on the R Dean Johnson Facebook page. Honestly, though, all you have to do is email me.
Okay, so what if you bought the paperback version and really want a bookmark? No problem. Just see the procedures above and I’ll get one in the mail to you as well. And really, thanks for buying the book. I hope you find/found it super-duper neat.IMG_0296

Californium. The novel.


So, this happened:

My, understands-my-novel-even-better-than-I-do, agent, Mackenzine Brady at New Leaf Literary, sold my novel to Plume – Penguin Books (USA).
There are edits and copy-edits and other things to come, but it will all add up to CALIFORNIUM sliding on to a bookstore shelf not too far from you (almost anywhere you are, they tell me) in May, 2016.

Feeling so very, very thankful.

Delicate Men: By the numbers

Delicate Men

9 stories (Hmmm, might have been a nice title)
3 points of view (That’s right, there’s a second-person POV story in there, and it’s really good)
2 Pushcart Prize nominations (Thanks Juked and New Orleans Review)
1 blurb from a New York Times bestselling author (See cover)
1 blurb from a Pulitzer Prize nominated author (See back cover)
0 zombies (Just couldn’t figure where to fit them in. Sorry if that’s a deal-breaker)